Tuesday, January 5, 2016

"The Boys in the Boat"


The cover pretty much sums up this wonderful book. It tells the story of a bunch of back country Washington state boys who end up at the University and on the crewing team. It focuses on one boy, Joe Rantz, but follows their quest to with the National Championship and ultimately, their bid to compete in the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany Berlin. I rarely read non-fiction, but I found this story infinitely compelling. I couldn't wait to finish it. At times, the action read like a fast-paced action flick. And he gives you a hint of what's to come of the horrors of Nazi Germany. What a well written, and well researched book.
I must confess, I've taken several rowing classes and own a rowing machine which I use almost every day. So I can relate to these rowers in a way. It is the ultimate workout.
 I predict, this will be turned into a movie in a year or two. But the book will still be better. I just wished Costco carried it!



No comments:

Post a Comment